It doesn’t matter if you have been trying to quit smoking for years now or have recently decided to quit smoking – there is one thing that you all will agree to – it is not an easy task!
In this blog, we will discuss one of the primary reasons that make quitting smoking difficult and talk about a perfect solution to handle it!
While there are many reasons like habitual behavior, social and environmental triggers, and lack of support that make quitting difficult, it is nicotine addiction that tops this list! It forces you to relapse more often than you desire. Here’s why –
Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that is present in tobacco products. When inhaled, it reaches the brain quickly and releases dopamine – a neurotransmitter that induces the sensation of pleasure. It has a calming effect on the brain and immediately brings down the stress levels. It is also known to enhance cognitive functionality. All these reasons make it highly addictive. Many people get hooked on it for either getting a sudden rush of dopamine or treating it as a stress buster or as a tool to enhance focus.
Whatever may be the reason – the body gets addicted to nicotine and continuously craves for it. If you do not smoke (meaning do not put any nicotine in your body) your body experiences nicotine withdrawal. This can lead to a range of uncomfortable symptoms, including intense cravings, irritability, anxiety, depression, difficulty concentrating, and increased appetite.
That’s where nicotine gums come into the picture.
What are nicotine gums and how do they work?
As the name suggests, it is a gum loaded with nicotine that you can use to tackle the demand for nicotine when you quit smoking. The idea is to gradually decrease the body’s dependence on nicotine by controlling the amount and replacing the nicotine found in cigarettes. It helps reduce the unpleasant side effects of nicotine withdrawal and helps you stay strong when cravings strike.
Benefits of nicotine gums
They are a popular form of NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) and provide several benefits that make them an affordable and easy way to help deal with nicotine addiction:
1. Portability & Flexibility – Just like cigarettes – it is easy to get nicotine gums. They are readily available, can be easily carried around, and take much less effort to consume. You do not have to leave a room to pop a gum.
- Dosage control – Nicotine gums are available in different doses. You can choose the dosage as per your past nicotine consumption trend or consult your doctor.
3. Smoke-free, hassle-free alternative – They eliminate the risk of smoking harmful toxins associated with the consumption of cigarettes. They act as a comparatively safer option to handle your body’s nicotine addiction. When compared to other alternatives like nicotine patches, chewing nicotine gum is any day much easier.
4. Oral gratification – Smoking is not just about nicotine addiction; it often involves a strong oral fixation and hand-to-mouth habit. Nicotine gum offers a healthier alternative that allows users to maintain these behaviors without the harmful effects of smoking. On top of this – they also come in different flavors that make them a tasty alternative.
5. Effective craving management – By providing a source of nicotine without the harmful chemicals, these quit-smoking gums help individuals satisfy their cravings in a safer way.
Now that you have understood the benefits and functionality of nicotine gums, allow us to now tell you how to use nicotine gums:
First of all – nicotine chewing gums should be only used when needed and should not be considered as a replacement for smoking. They should be treated as a means to handle the nicotine cravings while quitting smoking.
Secondly – remember it is not regular chewing gum! You do not chew nicotine gum the way you chew normal gum. If you did, all the nicotine would be released directly into your saliva.
Instead, you use a method called “Chew – Pause – Chew”:
- – Start by chewing the gum slowly till you get the taste of nicotine.
- – After some time, Pause chewing and place the gum between your cheek and gum. The nicotine will get absorbed through the lining of your mouth, providing you with a hit of nicotine that reaches your brain in a matter of minutes.
- – Chew the gum again once the taste of nicotine fades away.
– Continue to Chew-Pause-Chew the gum for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Remember to not swallow the Nicotine Gum as it will cause stomach pain or trigger a bad craving for cigarettes! Use nicotine chewing gums responsibly and meet your goal of quitting smoking in an easy and healthy way!